Spring Summer Crab Pasta
Join chef Hudson Slater and stand-up comedian Jaci Terjeson as they whip up a delicious lemony herb-dressed crab pasta. This simple, delicate dish features Alaska Home Pack’s wild caught crab meat, with a sauce combination of egg-yolk and pecorino. Fold in crab, parsley, chives, and capers. And voilà!
Easy enough for a weeknight meal, elegant enough for any date night in. With minimal ingredients and loads of flavor, paired with a dry white wine or rosé, this dish is sure to impress.
Spring/Summer Crab Pasta
Time 45 minutes
- 12 ounces uncooked bucatini pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup drained and rinsed capers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 large egg yolks, beaten
- 3 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup), plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh chives
- 8 ounces or more Alaska Home Pack crabmeat, picked over
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley (can sub for chiffinade basil)
- Fine sea salt or kosher salt
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Fill up a large pot with water to 2 inches from top of pot; salt water well. Bring water to a boil over high. Stir in pasta, and return to a boil over high. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until very al dente (1-2 minutes less than package directions) Drain pasta in a colander, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid in a small heatproof bowl. Add a small drizzle of oil to pasta in a colander, and toss to coat.
- Cook oil and garlic in a large, deep skillet over medium, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Add capers and black pepper; cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add 1 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid; bring to a boil over medium. Stir in cooked pasta, and return to a boil over medium; cook until pasta is al dente, 3 to 4 minutes, adding up to 1/4 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid until desired sauce consistency is reached. Remove from heat.
- While stirring pasta mixture vigorously using a wooden spoon, pour egg yolks in a quick stream into mixture; stir until slightly creamy, about 10 seconds. While stirring vigorously, quickly add cheese and chives; stir until sauce is creamy and silky, about 20 seconds. Gently stir in crab, basil and lemon zest and juice. Season to taste with fine sea salt or kosher salt. (If needed, add additional pasta cooking liquid to loosen sauce.) Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 shallow bowls; garnish with additional cheese and chives. Serve with lemon wedges.
Straight from the docks of Juneau, AK - Alaska Home Packs brings delicious, sustainable, fresh caught seafood straight to your door. Learn more about our process, seafood we offer and ways to order at akhomepack.com. And keep an eye out for more recipes to come!